Organization

The Central Utah Pioneer Heritage Association is dedicated to honoring the Pioneers of Central Utah.

The Pioneer Heritage Gardens provides a location where visitors can learn from and about the early Central Utah settlers. By understanding the values and practices that enabled Pioneers to form successful communities in this harsh environment, we can be better informed in making good decisions in our own lives.

We are a 501c3 non-profit.

Mission and Vision

The purpose of the Pioneer Heritage Gardens is to memorialize the early pioneer families that settled in Central Utah and help reinforce for visitors their heritage, legacy, and the values exemplified through their sacrifices.

Our vision is to help visitors cherish the integrity and faith which inspired the pioneers of Central Utah and link their pioneer ideals to our ideals of today.

Project Objectives

The Pioneer Heritage Gardens (PHG) serves as the major interpretive center for the north end of the Mormon Pioneer National Heritage Area (MPNHA).

The Pioneer Heritage Gardens are located on a 2.24 acre parcel of property fronting on Heritage Highway 89 at the gateway to Manti City, across the street from Sanpete County’s most famous landmark, the Manti LDS Temple.

Original native American residents and pioneer immigrants of Sanpete County from 1849 through 1888 are honored by preserving, documenting and retelling their stories.

The early Mormon settlement patterns are an asset to the area and can be fully explained here. Sanpete is the only county in the country where early Mormon Settlement patterns are visible today and remain largely the same as they were in the 1850 -1880’s.

    • The towns were intentionally located one wagon’s day ride one from another.
    • The towns were arranged in four acre blocks with four residences per block or one residence per acre.
    • The home, barn, garden, animals and outbuildings were located on one acre.
    • Large tracts of farmland were located outside of town.
    • The church, schools and a few commercial buildings were developed in the middle of town.

This arrangement allowed for neighborliness, defense, and culture, is highly regarded and known as “The Mormon Landscape”

CUPHA Board Members

    • Shannon Miller, President
    • Thomas Anderson, Vice President
    • Paul Wangemann, Vice President
    • Clara Beus, Secretary
    • Judith Gubler, Treasurer
    • Kent Beus
    • Robert Graham
    • Glen K. Lund
    • Steve Lund